So it has been months since my last post, and that post, wasn’t even a real post. Boredom has brought me back to this blog, I keep wanting to post, but life always seems to get in the way. I have been thinking how I want to use this blog, should it be a personal file of my life’s happenings, or should it be geared towards a certain topic or theme? Well, I still don’t yet know. I got some good advice from my barber the other day though, and that is if you have an idea start right away and go from there. If you think too much into things you will never do them. So this is my start.
Ok, so it’s been a while, more like weeks, since my last post. I have been busy with the usual; school, life, school, etc. I’m still trying to decide what the hell I want this blog to be about, my life or the radio station, or something else. I have this love, hate relationship with the internet. Anyways, spring breaks started today so I’ll have a little more time to get this blog going again. I am going to post the playlists from my last two shows within the next few days. So, until then, PEACE!
Well, as I’ve done absolutely nothing exciting in the last week, I figured I’d post something to keep this blog rolling. Last semester I co-directed this short film for a graduate level (it wasn’t as hard as you think) class at SF State. We pretty much made the entire thing in 24 hours, since of course we are great procrastinators. Anyways, its an infomercial for a product that every god-fearing internet challenged person needs. Can’t really say much more than that, so just watch it. I’ll try to actually post some interesting and relevant stuff soon, but it all depends on my life becoming more interesting…so we shall see. Oh one more thing, I’ll be back on air this Thursday 3/6 from 9am to 10am on KSFS, at least I have something to look forward to.
Well, its over. My first BS (BrainSpasms) radio show is done, through, finished. I woke up early, sat myself down in the dark studio, and let the tunes roll. Now I thought I’d have a recording to post here, so anyone that missed the show could listen again, but something sort of went wrong. I brought a CDR disk, but when I put it into the recorder it said I had one song on it! So my first step into the radio world, will be remembered only in the minds of my three or four listeners. Oh well, theres always next time. But as promised, here is my playlist from the show, check out these sweet sounds, you won’t regret it. I am even so nice that I linked up each track with links where you can get most of the songs for free, and legal too!
- Neon Neon – I Lust You
- Flosstradamus – Overnight Star (Twista & Sigur Ros mashup)
- The Postmarks – You Only Live Twice (James Bond Cover)
- Chumbawamba – Tubthumping (Flamming Lips & David Fridmann Remix)
- AmpLive – Video Tapez (ft. De the Funky Homosapien)
- Silversun Pickups – Dream at Tempo 119
- Justice – D.A.N.C.E. (Benny Blanco mix Feat. Mos Def and Spank Rock)
- Ghostland Observatory – Dancin’ On My Grave (Let There Be Vinyl Remix)
- Maritime – Guns of Navarone
- Niyorah – Nothing to Prove
- Brazilian Girls – Pussy
- Van Hunt – Turn My TV On
- Vampire Weekend – The Kids Don’t Stand A Chance
Extended Mix Bonus Tracks:
So the time has come. Tomorrow morning, Thursday the 20th of February, I’ll be broadcasting live from 9am to 10am. You can hear the show over at the KSFS website or on Comcast radio channel 100.7. I still have no idea what I’ll be spinning, but it will range from underground techno and indie rock to hip hop remixes and classic B-sides. It will all be fresh, I can guarantee that you haven’t heard at least a few songs in my hour long set. One other thing, because I have to split the airwaves with another student, for now my show is limited to every other Thursday morning. Okay, got to get back to programming. Peace.
So Super Tuesday is over, the votes are in… and the Democratic party nominee is still up in the air. Personally, I am an Obama voter, and honestly believe he can help change this country. Politics aside, Los Angeles DJ Daedelus just released a short track titled “Obama” which is about, you guessed it, Barak Obama. It is very, very catchy and has a great beat pattern. Should check it out yo.
Discovered, re-discovered, and dug up some great music over the last few weeks. I got a great little turntable off of craigslist, so I’ve been spending a bunch of money I don’t have at Amoeba on vinyl. Here’s what my ears are digging currently:
- itsnotyouitsme – Down tempo/chill band out of NYC. I picked up there 4 song EP on itunes for $1.99, it’s a great deal for some mellow euphoric tunes.
- The Bombay Jazz Palace 12″ Vinyl – Picked this up for $8 not knowing what to expect. Very relaxing jazz with some Indian flare.
- Groove Armada – Experimental funky electronica DJ duo from the UK. These guys make some mad beats, whether it be hip-hop or soulful easy grooves.
- Supermayer “Save the World” – Another DJ duo, this time in the Techno variety. The entire album is great, but their hit “Two of Us” is a classic, evident by the vast number of remixes out there.
- Cheap Reggae 45’s – I picked up 4 random pieces of vinyl the other day for less then a buck each. Discovered some great songs, from old roots reggae to current dance hall.